Top 5 Tough and Rugged Laptops that are Built to last
Top 5 Toughest Laptops
I need a rugged laptop for both work and school. I needed a hardcore piece of hardware that could withstand anything that was thrown at it. I began looking at notebooks that offered the utmost durability as much as it did the most advanced and useful features. What I uncovered was surprising, as I didn’t know how deep a laptop could go in terms of protection against damage.
- The Lenovo ThinkPad X131e stood out right away. Of course it was a little heavier than I was used to at four pounds. It has a reinforced design and stainless steel hinges. With its rubber padded HDD drive and top cover cushioning, even the most unpleasant bumps, even being dropped, won’t cause any damage. With a battery life of 8.5 hours, a dude could spend a day outdoors and not get all wimpy about losing power. ThinkPad products by testing against eight parameters: high pressure, humidity, vibration, high temperature, temperature shock, low pressure (15,000 ft), low temperature, and dust. The X131e uses thicker plastic on the bezel with integrated webcam, for extra durability. The full-sized keyboard reduces gaps between keys by 60%, so keys are less likely to be removed, and the advanced drainage system collects and diverts liquid away from circuitry through drainage hole in bottom.
- The Getac B300 comes as tough as it gets in the world of laptops. It’s been engineered for use in danger areas with hazardous particles and gasses without fear of the unit exploding. The screen can lie back until it’s almost flat, minimizing wear and tear on the hinges. The magnesium alloy case keeps it waterproof safe. The unit doesn’t scrimp on features: Intel core i7, 2.0 GHz processor, 2 to 8 gigabytes of RAM, 250GB HD with an upgrade option to 500. The battery lasts up to 11 hours. If you need more, there’s an optional second battery that can double the time.
- The Panasonic Toughbook 31 was engineered to meet the highest military standards and certifications. Drops, shocks, slams and intense vibrations mean nothing to it. It can withstand some of the worst environmental conditions, including 70 mph winds and blowing rain. So my friends and their big sloppy feet are definitely no threat. It balances function with durability, letting neither take the lead. It comes with an Intel Core i5 processor, delivering high end graphics. It comes with a nice backlit keyboard, a pressure sensitive touchpad and a convenient stylus.
[box_dark]General Dynamics GD8000[/box_dark]
- The General Dynamics GD8000 is a surprisingly light notebook considering its ruggedness. It comes with a serial port, three USB ports and a port for external video. Always stay connected with 3G, Bluetooth and GPS, or use the integrated antennas. If you use complex apps and large files, this laptop may not be the option for you as the GD8000 hard drive maxes out at 160 GB. It does have some powerful security features, including TPM 1.2 Network Security Standard, integrated CAC reader, integrated fingerprint reader, security lock slot and a removable hard drive.
[box_dark]Dell Latitude XFR[/box_dark]
- The Dell Latitude E6400 XFR is backed by the United States Department of Defense. It can withstand pressurized water and has ballistic armor protection that actually makes the hardware 15 percent lighter than other comparable devices. It has a simplified IT management system, sturdy data protection and a fully configured webcam that produces clear and accurate images. Unfortunately, put side by side with the other units on this list, the battery life is a disappointment with only a little over three hours of time. A twelve cell battery slice is optional, but it will cost you a few extra hundred dollars.
There you have it, the toughest laptops you will ever get your hands on.
These are impressive units & exceptional solutions for people that need an indestructible and reliable piece of hardware under extreme circumstances. And they do make the grade if you tend to drop, kick, bump, or just put your notebook through out of the ordinary paces under hard hitting conditions.